Position Title: Herbal Apprentice
Reports to: Lead Clinical Herbalist
Date: March 2022
Timeframe: Begin immediately, March – November, 2022
Compensation: $100 stipend per clinic
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Please apply and contact Madalyn Berg, Lead Clinical Herbalist [email protected] with any questions
About the Botanical Bus
The Botanical Bus is a bilingual mobile herb clinic that empowers holistic health by-and-for Latinx and Indigenous people through culturally relevant, community driven programs.
We meet our Latinx and Indigenous clients where there are- at vineyard worksites and trusted family service centers- to provide upstream, culturally-relevant health services including massage, acupuncture, somatic therapy, diabetes prevention and care, clinical nutrition and herbalism.
The Botanical Bus takes community-based action for health equity. We are driven by the proven success of the self-healing community model in which holistic health is empowered by the people, for the people.
What Apprentices Do
The Herbal Apprentices are critical support staff for our Mobile Clinic Program. They staff the herbal apothecary, operating as the bridge between the plants, clients, and clinicians. This is a fast-paced hands-on position where apprentices learn by doing. The work of the apprentices makes it possible for us to serve community members in an efficient and organized way.
- Coordination with Clinical Herbalists to fill herbal formulas, including the blending of herbal tinctures, teas and oils
- Bilingual, bicultural connection with clients in delivery of herbal medicine and confirmation of dosis information
- Clear, bilingual labeling of herbal formulas
- Inventory control through careful updating of over 100 dried herbs, 65 simple herbal tinctures/glycerites and oils
- Apothecary maintenance including organization and cleaning of supplies and space
- Recordkeeping and filing for over 100-client base
- Support with set-up and take-down of apothecary and clinic care stations, which includes heavy-lifting in variable, outdoor mobile clinic setting
- Translation support for clinical herbalists as needed
- Responsible for maintaining client confidentiality
- Processing of dried herbs including garbaling, storage and updates to inventory
- Occasional management of specific projects outside of clinic hours including processing of dried herbs, restocking, and herbal formula filling
Who Apprentices Are
- Bilingual, Bicultural (Spanish/English)
- Solution driven – recognizes challenges as opportunities and is an effective problem solver
- Detail oriented – pays attention to small, important information that makes up the big picture
- Self-reflective- acknowledges one’s own experience and the experiences of others. Adjusts behaviors for success in an inclusive workplace.
- Flexible- comfort working in variable settings and to meet goals of an evolving program
- Professional- joins us in co-creating a work environment that honors our clients’ experience and fosters community trust
- Self-aware- has tools for caring for oneself while working in a busy, service-oriented environment
- Committed to health equity and cultural competence
Qualifications and Requirements of Apprenticeship
- Minimum 40- hours of herbal training, including experience with formulation
- Great organizational skills
- Responsibility for arriving on time
- Transportation to and from clinics, often in rural vineyard setting
- Strong communication skills
- Clear legible handwriting for labeling of formulations
- Ability to lift 30 Lbs.
- Available to work regular Saturday clinic shifts